The Michael Heaney Scholarship is coming back this year and is open to all senior Tri-County swimmers.
Michael Heaney was a tenacious competitor for Downs Farm swim club in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. He went on to become captain of both the Bishop Eustace Swim Team and The College of New Jersey men’s swim team and became a school record holder. His ever-competitive nature drove him and his teammates to compete at the highest level and become the best they could be. Tragically, Mike was critically injured in a bike accident in early 2012. He eventually succumbed to his traumatic brain injury in late 2013.
In his honor, the Michael Heaney Fund has set up the 1500 Meters for Mike ocean swim in Manasquan, NJ each year, which to date, has raised over $200,000 to help those suffering from traumatic brain injuries. To further Mike’s legacy, this scholarship has been created to represent the positive impact that the Tri County Swim League and Bishop Eustace High School had on his life and how it refined his leadership skills.
This scholarship is designed to honor Mike’s leadership qualities and his persistent drive to help
those around him reach their potential, whether it be in the classroom or in the pool.
Number of Scholarships: 1 male scholarship and 1 female scholarship per year
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 each
Check Format: Scholarship check will be made payable to recipients respective school/institution
Check Issuing Date: The scholarship check will be awarded at the conclusion of league championships.
In Order To Be Considered:
- Must be a current high school senior (or just graduated from HS this year)
- Must currently swim for a team in the Tri-County Swim League OR Bishop Eustace HS
- Must be currently accepted (or expecting to be accepted to) either a 2 or 4 year college/university or other qualified institution of higher education
- Must complete all sections of the attached application including:
- Personal Information
- Team Information
- Nomination Form
- Copy of Acceptance Letter
- Application Deadline: July 24
- Please SCAN & EMAIL to: [email protected]
- All applications MUST include all items